As I’m sure you all know, I love gluten and dairy and basically everything that is not paleo. Because I don’t really have any serious sensitivities to different food groups, I think that everything in moderation is okay. However, I’ve been trying to eat a bit healthier lately – two months in Europe combined with the stress/busyness that comes with moving and starting a new job has not done wonders for my figure – so I’ve been finding myself drawn towards paleo recipes lately.
Danielle Walker is the author of the blog Against All Grain, and two paleo cookbooks (I have the first, and I am dying to get my hands on the second). I initially starting following her on instagram a few months back, and have been slightly obsessing over her and her recipes since. She has so many unique ideas and fresh takes on the paleo diet that it seems ridiculously easy to follow all the time, plus she has great writing skills and seems extremely personable.
Danielle shared this recipe a few weeks ago on her blog, and I love that it was easy to throw together, has some of my favourite summer-y flavours, and was pretty healthy. Definitely one of those recipes that seems super fancy, but was really not difficult at all to make. I especially loved the citrus marinade on the shrimp, and will definitely be using it for other recipes in the future. I threw these skewers over a quick spinach/arugula salad with some chèvre and a simple citrus dressing, Danielle put them on cauli-rice, and I could see them working really well at any end-of-summer barbecue.
This was the first meal that I cooked in my new place! I am so, so excited to have my own kitchen again. This first meal was very appropriately eaten while sitting on the kitchen floor – my roommate hadn’t moved in, so there was no couch, and we have yet to buy a kitchen table.
Citrus Shrimp & Prosciutto Nectarine Skewers
Adapted from Against All Grain
1/4 cup Fresh Orange Juice
2 cloves Garlic, peeled
1/2 inch knob of Fresh Ginger
2 tsp Tamari or other soy sauce
1 tsp Honey
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1 lb Medium Wild Shrimp, deveined with tails on
3 Yellow Nectarines, pitted and cut into wedges
2 oz Prosciutto, thinly sliced
1. Soak skewers in water for at least 1 hour, or use metal skewers.
2. Place the juice, garlic, ginger, tamari, honey, and sea salt in a blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Pour the marinade over the shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to 4 hours.
4. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium heat.
5. Wrap thin strips of prosciutto around each nectarine wedge and set aside.
6. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and shake off excess liquid. Alternate threading the shrimp and the nectarines onto skewers.
7. Grill the skewers for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, until the shrimp is pink throughout and the prosciutto is crispy. Serve hot.