Yesterday was a sad day. Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow announced their separation. And before you roll your eyes at me and label me as some celebrity gossiper, hear me out. I swear I’m not always so obsessive about such things. I don’t read Star Magazine or US Weekly. But Gwyneth happened to announce it on her blog, Goop, yesterday, and I happen to be obsessed with that blog.
The thing is that Gwyneth is one of those celebrities that you want to like because not only is her acting amazing, but her recipe books are so great and I kind of dig how private she keeps her personal life from the press. And Chris Martin… well, hello. As if I didn’t love them enough already, I happen to have practically met them. As in, I sat within arms reach of them (and Apple and Moses) while I ate breakfast one day in Hawaii. And you know what? They seemed to be some of the more down to earth people at the resort I was at. Also, Chris Martin is even better looking in person, incase you were wondering. So I am honestly a little devastated that they decided to separate, even though Gwyneth says it was amicable. Sad face.
So what does all of this have to do with food? It’s Gwyneth’s recipe, of course. I had actually planned on posting this yesterday before I heard about the separation and found that her blog had crashed because of the announcement. So unfortunately I couldn’t see the actual recipe, and I didn’t want to guess at it, which is why I waited until today to post it.
Gwyneth is pretty much the queen of simple, easy, fresh, and healthy recipes. I love both of her cookbooks and her blog and have gotten some of my most treasured recipes from her. This one is no different. This combination of flavours is one of my favourites, and this is so easily put together for a quick weeknight meal (I served it with some fresh tilapia). And aren’t the colours pretty?
Black Bean, Corn, & Avocado Bowl:
Adapted from Goop
1 can of Black Beans, rinsed
1 ear of Corn, shucked *
1 Avocado, peeled and cubed
3 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup Quinoa, cooked
1/2 cup Brown Rice, cooked
Sea Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
1/2 small Red Onion, diced
Handful of Cilantro, chopped
1 Jalapeño, deseeded and minced
Sriracha, to taste
1. Pre-heat a grill (or grill pan) over medium high heat. Place corn on grill and cook for about a minute on each side, until nicely charred all around. When cool, carefully slice off the kernels into the bowl.
2. Add the black beans and avocado to the corn. Drizzle the olive oil and squeeze the juice of one lime over the top. Mix and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place equal amounts quinoa and brown rice into two serving bowls or sealable food containers. Add the bean mixture over the top.
4. Place all the garnish ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle over the bowls to your liking, serve.
* If corn is not in season, you can use a can of corn, rinsed.