This one is from Smitten Kitchen, and she is exactly right when she talks about the whole “bowl” concept. Grains and vegetables seem so much more exciting when they are layered into a bowl with dressing and sesame seeds, don’t they? This colourful bowl is super healthy and comes together in like 10 minutes, yet the flavours are comforting and the opposite of boring. It’s easy enough for a week night dinner, but seems fancy enough for guests.
This sesame – miso dressing is also delicious on different roasted or stir fried vegetables, and I had a little extra, so that worked out perfectly. It also seems to keep well in the fridge for quite a while (I’ve had mine there for a couple weeks at least) in a sealed container.
Sweet Potato & Broccoli Miso Bowl:
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
For the Bowl
1 cup Grain of your choice (I used Israeli Couscous, rice would also work well)
1 – 2 Sweet Potatoes
1 large bundle Broccoli
1 – 2 tbsp Olive Oil
Kosher Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
2 tsp Sesame Seeds (mix of black and white, if you have them)
Miso – Sesame Dressing
1 tbsp Fresh Ginger, minced
1 small clove Garlic, minced
2 tbsp White Miso
2 tbsp Tahini
1 tbsp Honey
1/2 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
2 tbsp Sesame Oil
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place rice or grain and cooking liquid on the stove and cook according to package directions.
2. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Cut tops off broccoli and separate into bite-sized florets.
3. Coat one large or two smaller trays with a thin slick of olive oil. Layer sweet potatoes on tray(s) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes, until browning underneath. Flip and toss chunks around, then add broccoli to the tray(s), season again with salt and pepper, and roast for another 10 to 20 minutes, until broccoli is lightly charred at edges and sweet potato is fully bronzed and tender.
4. In a small skillet, toast sesame seeds until fragrant. Let cool.
5. While vegetables roast, prepare sesame-miso dressing: Combine everything in a blender and run until smooth, scraping down sides once. Taste and adjust ingredients if needed.
6. Assemble bowls: Scoop some rice/grains into each, then pile on the roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli. Coat lightly with sesame-miso dressing and finish with toasted sesame seed duo. Serve with extra dressing on the side.