Isn’t it amazing how food has such a way of making everything better? At least for me. Granted, my life isn’t terrible by any means, but it is SO cold and I just really don’t want to write the essay that I need to write, ya know? I came home for lunch and whipped this baby up and BOOM. Instant happy. Ready to greet the rest of the day.
It’s no secret that grilled cheese sandwiches are among my favorite foods (which I apparently have a lot of… oops!). While classic grilled cheeses are delicious, and well… classic, I am a huge fan of gourmet-ish combinations. Something about that melted, ooey, gooey cheese combined with pretty much anything gets me going.
I bought some aged white cheddar cheese last week and have been dreaming up sandwiches since. Today was the day. I am so pleased. I present to you, Grilled Cheese with Aged White Cheddar and Caramelized Onions.
Grilled Cheese with Aged White Cheddar and Caramelized Onions
2 slice Multigrain Bread (I love all of the Silver Hills Bakery breads – today I used The Kings Bread)
2 thick slices Aged White Cheddar
1 Yellow Onion, sliced thinly
1 tbsp Butter
1. Spray a small frying pan with non-stick spray and add onions. Cook over medium heat for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft, light brown, and very fragrant. Set aside.
2. Lightly butter one side of each slice of bread.
3. Place one slice of bread, buttered side down, in frying pan (still over medium heat). Top with cheese and caramelized onions, and add other slice of bread – buttered side up.
4. Cook on each side until golden brown – about three minutes.
5. Slice in half, and eat immediately.
On a side note, do you guys watch New Girl? It’s one of my favorite shows, and last weeks was hilarious, as always. I’ve been watching one scene over and over. A restaurant owner calls Jess gorgeous, and this is her response… “HA! (weird faces & belching sounds) No! That’s crazy! That ain’t real! That’s dumb, that’s straight dumb, you’re dumb — you’re nice — you excited for the holidays? I am,” So relatable!